Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wanna live in the greatest place on Earth or stay right where you are?

  My family and I just embarked on a wonderful 2 week vacation in California. I mean it was fun and relaxing, adventurous and peaceful. Plus we visited a bunch of family (you can decide if that was fun or relaxing).
Without going into all we did and the main purpose of the trip which was dropping our 18yr old daughter off at her college.... I do want to tell you about our few days in Bakersfield, CA. Specifically the night we spent at my fathers house grillin a TriTip roast.
While there my wife picked up a magazine he had laying out titled, Bakersfield Life. More specifically the May 2013 issue and even more specifically the article titled, "Bakersfield against the World". (Link to issue, article begins on page 110)

Now let me preface what I'm about to write with the fact that I was born and grew up in the city of Bakersfield, so I know it well. I moved to Houston, Tx. when I was 26yrs old - I know the city as a child and an adult. So when I read this article I found it quite humorous.... I think you will too.
The article explains 10 reasons why Bakersfield is better than the rest of the World.
Here's a quick review:
1. Springtime - ok, I get this. Spring is nice in Bakersfield, but isnt Spring nice just about everywhere?
2. Parking - seriously you are in big trouble if you are promoting your city with 'Parking' as the 2nd rated reason why to live here.
3. Mexican Restaurants - well they do have mexican restaurants thats for sure. I would think if you're promoting the city you may want to speak to the wide variety of restaurants and styles of food rather than settling for one.... oh and FYI, the TexMex in Houston is 10 times better.
4. (are you ready for this) 99 cent stores - yep thats right, they are promoting the fact that they have a plethora of 99 cent stores to shop. I would think that would be more on the downside but maybe thats just me.
5. Central Location - this in my opinion is the absolute #1 reason why to live in Bakersfield - you are surrounded by a lot of great places and cities. My father in law says, "the greatest thing about Bakersfield is I can get there from here." How true it is. Its a short drive to the mountains or beach or an hour to Six Flags, an hour and half into Los Angeles and all that it has to offer, etc...
6. Snow - they actually never get any so the article says if you have an aversion to snow this is the place for you..... wow.
7. Tattoos - yep, you can get a tattoo in Bakersfield and in just about every other city in America.
8. National Cemetery - yeah thats nice.
9. (Oh how I love #9) No Intimidation of Mill Valley Bodies - the article says, "tired of those thin, snotty people? You'll feel right at home here. People have more meat on their bones."
It's hard not to laugh out loud I know. They are literally saying, This is a place for the overweight. Why be thin or health conscious at all? Have another burrito at one of our mexican restaurants.
10. Friendliness -  Isnt that nice? The funny part of the article is the picture here under #10 for friendliness is 3 thin girls walking with their backs turned to you.

So as good or bad as these 10 reasons are for living in Bakersfield I thought I'd add a couple of more to help them out.

11. Dense Fog - the fact that Bakersfield is in the San Joaquin Valley and barely above sea level give way to some nasty, dense fog. You cannot drive on the roads, schools postpone, even cancel due to it. The fog has been the culprit of many, many car accidents.
I don't know how they left this out of the article....
12. Smog - being hemmed in on three sides by the mountains not only creates nasty fog in the winter it allows terrible air all year long. Bonus all the oilfield work in the area creates diesel soot from the pumps. CNN places Bakersfield #1 in their Top Ten most polluted cities this year.

I could go on and on....

Obviously I'm having a good time poking fun at my hometown, but here's the point....
It really doesn't matter what city you live in, you can find a list of reasons as to why its not the best place in the world. You see the real question is, "Is this where God has placed you?" That my friends is all that matters.

You and I need to get to a certain place and that place is "contentment".

It was the Apostle Paul who wrote, "Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

So how about you? Are you constantly looking for something else...?
A new city, a new place to live, a new job, a new relationship, a new car, a new...whatever?
I once heard John Maxwell say, "If you're not content here, you won't be content there."
There's great truth in that statement. 

Know that God has a plan and His plan is for you to prosper. (Jeremiah 29:11)
It literally comes down to you and I accepting what "that plan" is and there, in that place we will be happy, we'll be content.
And that place folks, is a great place.



No comments: