Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mother's Day - 'Life as a Princess' by Cathleen Parks

Nicole Johnson video, "Princess in Pajamas"

Your a princess. You are. Depending on how you view being a princess that can two completely different things. Princesses, as we are familiar with them, seem to live a very charmed life. Their hair and clothes are always perfect. Their children are clean and well behaved. They have more money than they can spend. They live with their prince in their castle and life is good.
A charmed life.

The way we perceive a princesses life is not altogether realistic, but unfortunately, it is what they are taught they must present to their public. Many of us have been taught that too. Ever heard the saying ‘don’t air your dirty laundry in public’? How often do we hide the parts of our lives that don’t seem quite presentable? God forbid that others should know that I’ve ever made a mistake, sinned, or lived in fear. What our own nature tells us is to keep these parts of our lives quiet. Let them be our own little secret. But look, here’s the cool thing. God, in typical God form, tells us to do the very opposite of what the we or our culture would tell us to do.

James 5:16 (The Message)
16 Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed.

Now that blows the doors off of conventional wisdom doesn’t it? The Bible tells us to actually TELL each other when we’ve messed up or when we’re struggling. It goes further to say - if you tell each other - you’ll have wholeness and healing. Incredible!

Why? Because secrets are dark places and God purposes to bring light into dark places. When you talk about the struggles in your life you are taking these struggles out of the dark and bringing them into light - exposing them. It takes courage and guts be transparent with yourself and with others.
So often we would rather not address our problems. Maybe it’s easier for us.
*Head in the sand
*Shame, embarrassment

Maybe we want everyone to see us a princess in our own right - as someone who has it all together. Really - don’t we all want to have it all together? Don’t we all want to be our own little princess of our own little kingdom?

But reality says that we don’t have everything exactly right all the time. Or most of the time. If fact the Bible compares us to clay pots. The thing with clay pots is that they are actually pretty fragile. They crack very easily. They are famously IMPERFECT. I can relate to that. If the Bible is going to compare me to a clay pot I would imagine I’m pretty cracked up. In fact, I may even have a chunk or two missing. I’ve been damaged by sin, hurt, rejection. I’ve been disillusioned, lied to. I’ve had high hopes come crashing down. Crack after crack after crack in my pot. But consider this. Picture a heavily cracked pot. Now in your minds eye begin to fill it with something. Water, wine, grain, whatever. If you put just about anything in a cracked pot, what will happen? You’ll loose it. It will run out of the cracks and eventually just run out. What is the only thing you can fill a pot with that won’t run out? That’s right - light. The only thing that you can put into a cracked pot that would never run out, is light. In fact, the more cracks that are in the pot, the more apparent the light is and useful for illumination. So if I’m a cracked pot, but I allow God’s light to shine on, and through, my imperfections by exposing them, not only will I find healing and wholeness but God will be able to use my struggles to impact the lives of those around me.
Look at Matthew 5:14-16 (The Message)

14 "Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. 15 If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. 16 Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand--shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

Today God wants to offer you freedom. Freedom from the things that you hold secret. If the church can’t be a safe place for us, where will be? We have to commit today to be transparent with one another. Take advantage of the small groups, develop transparent relationships with one another, talk with myself or Joe. But whatever you do, don’t keep your troubles, be it sin or struggle, to yourself. Transparency with one another strengthens and encourages each other. I want to be a princess. But I want to be the princess that God intends for me to be. You see I am a princess because He is my King. My daddy God is a King. Because he granted me daughtership, I am His princess. And only this King can take all of my imperfections and through his awesome glory make even the imperfections in my life beautiful.
LIGHT VISUAL.
God I thank you for my life. All of my life. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I realize it is through every part of my life that you shine in great glory!

No comments: