Monday, December 26, 2005

The "LOST" week of the Year

I first heard about the "LOST' week about 10yrs. ago - it's a spoof of "last" week.
The holiday season begins a week or two before Thanksgiving - from that moment
on up until the main event Christmas Day - we are hurried, rushed, overloaded,
with packed schedules.

This December Cathleen and I attended two Christmas parties, 1 of the Church, 1 work
Christmas party.
Our girls attended 2 diffrerent birthday parties, not to mention Cathleen's
b-day is the 21st oF DEC.
Family in from out of town most of DEC.
Added onto all of the regular Christmas preparations of shopping, traveling,
children's plays and the like...
Come the main event - Christmas Day - we get about half way through the day and crash!

The next day, the 26th onto the 31st becomes the last week of the year, a week
that often becomes LOST - we have hit a brick wall and zone out! We think to ourselves,
"I did it! I made it through another holiday season alive with all my limbs attatched!"

The only problem is that when we zone out of the last week, we begin a New Year behind.
Behind physically, mentally, and spiritually.

To avoid that I'd like to share a few things I do to stay FOCUSED


The "LOST" Week of the Year
(December 26 - January 2)


"Act like people with good sense and not like fools.
...so make every minute count." Ephesians 5:15-16


Five suggestions to keep your FOCUS:


1. REFLECT, FAST, & PRAY

Grab a notebook and pen then take some time to reflect on the past year, the
good, the not so good, the fun stuff, the annoying things.
Talk to God about the year, ask what He has to say.
Take some time to fast this week. I fast New Years Eve into New Years day.
Think about what could work for you.

"Examine yourselves..." 2 Corinthians 13:5


"When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. Jeremiah 29:12

"And when you fast, don't make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, who try to look
pale and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting." Matthew 6:16


2. Read a large book in the Bible

A couple of years ago I was reading the gospels, this year it's Acts. Pick a
good size book, Dueteronomy is a fabulous Old Testament book, Psalms or Proverbs, or maybe
1st or 2nd Corinthians. It will definetly get a head start on reading the Bible in a year
if that's your route.

"Never stop reading The Book of the Law he gave you. Day and night you must
think about what it says. If you obey it completely, you will be successful." Joshua 1:8

3. Undress the House

This is simply using this week to take down and store all of your beautiful
Christmas decor.

You may say why? It's just the thought that come January 2nd you still have
Christmas decor up and it avoids the feeling of "Im already behind, I still have to put
away last year's stuff"

"let us strip off every weight that slows us down,... And let us run with
endurance the race that God has set before us." Hebrews 12:1


4. Set aside time for "Refreshing"

This is differernt from zoning out - this is purposed relaxation and refreshing.
Take some time of solitude and invite the Holy Spirit to come and renew you spiritually.
With palms up just say,

"God, I'm here willing to just sit and soak up whatever you have for me."
Then watch how God loves on you.

"I long, yes, I faint with longing to enter the courts of the LORD. With my
whole being, body and soul, I will shout joyfully to the living God." Psalm 84:2


5. Summarize... Prioritize... Organize

Go back to the time of reflection, what did you come up with? What did God say? ...Summarize

Make a list of what you want to accomplish in '06 - from small to big - lay it out & ...Prioritize

Now that is done, how are you going to accomplish these things? What's your plan ...Organize

"Lead me in the right path, O LORD,... Tell me clearly what to do, and show me
which way to turn." Psalm 5:8

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be
given to you as well." Matthew 6:33

That's just a few suggestions, you may have more. Whatever the case, don't let
the last week become the LOST week.

No comments: