Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Sensing God wherever you are

Sequoia National Forest 
As the Summer season nears it makes me wonder of the plans, vacations, getaways, etc... that you can plan throughout this season. The children are home, usually bored out of their mind looking for something to do. So some sort of family time away together can be a whole lot of fun and maybe necessary :)
It reminds me of our big family summer vacation last year.
It was one of those bittersweet adventures.
We left together as our family of four but only 3 of us returned.
Our oldest daughter stayed in California for her 1st year of college.
The 2 week vacation included a ton of fun but closed with a very tearful goodbye as Jessica stayed in her dorm room.
The week prior in our California vacation while we were still all together we spent 4 days at Sequoia National Park. It was a wonderful time of relaxing together and some time away from the world.... literally.
There was no cell service where we were. Hence no internet which created a fantastic reality of "unplugging".
During those days I began each morning with a walk by myself through the forest and along the creek trails.
At one point of each walk I would climb over some rocks within the creek to place myself right in the middle sitting atop a rock while the water was running through the cracks and crevices and over the top of smaller rocks creating a soothing, very pleasant and peaceful sound.
I would sit there with my eyes closed listening to that sound near me and echoing through the forest. Along with other birds and wildlife all around me.
I just sat there focused on God and reflecting as I listened.
I really like those times, those places. They are so peaceful, so encouraging and revitalizing.
I'd imagine you feel the same way.

As I lingered reflecting, hearing the bubbling of the water, in some places it hurried over rocks then trickled slowly through a pool of water. Everywhere it was moving forward, sometimes loudly sometimes like a quiet undercurrent.
Gods Spirit moves similarly in our lives. At times Gods presence is audible and obvious and many times He is the quiet current moving through our lives revitalizing us.
Whether bold or noisy, hushed or subtle, the Spirit is always there if we pause long enough to listen.
No matter where you are.

So here's a thought:
Stop and listen to the sounds around you right now. What do you hear? Traffic? Nature? People?
Reflect on how they display and express Gods presence in your life today.

"If anyone believes in me, rivers of living water will flow out from that person’s heart, as the Scripture says.”  John 7:38

Holy Spirit, thank you for Your presence and Your movement through my life.

No comments: